27 has been a big year for me – learning lessons wise. I have become happier, fatter and poorer, but a little bit wiser, too.
The things that I have learnt (in no particular order) are that:
- I cannot control the actions of the people around me
- Wishing for change will not bring it
- The more I try to be perfect, the more I limit myself
- When I take on too many projects, what I am saying is that it is okay to fail because I have spread myself too thin
- Friendship comes from the most unlikely of places, when you least expect it
- I can control how I think about situations, events and people
- Reserving judgement is a powerful tool
- No-one judges myself as harshly as I do
- It’s okay to not be happy all the time
- “This too shall pass”
- The more you try to hold onto something, the faster it goes. Why? Because you are no longer holding onto the moment, but what you perceive to be the moment
- Fear is what holds me back
- There is no point in trying to be someone else – I have all the qualifications I need to be myself
- Saying “I’m sorry” can be two of the hardest words to say
- Sarcasm doesn’t really achieve much
- Experiences are worth more than things
- Raising a child can be hard work
- Being “grown-up” is not liking doing some things, but still knowing you have to do them
- Waiting for someone to instinctively know what you need is mildly silly. How can anyone read your mind?
- You can give advice freely, but don’t be upset if it isn’t taken
- You can only claim a stake in what you achieve, otherwise you’re not living your own life
- If I can ever make another decision, I would, but with the information I have at the time, I make the best decisions that I can.
- Sharing another person’s joy, is one of the greatest things you can share. If you can assist them when things aren’t joyful, that is even better.
- Putting on loud, happy music is one of the best ways to defeat the icky, yucky, pervasive feelings.
- Lying to yourself hurts you, and those around you, at some point
- Sometimes, walking away is the most powerful decision you can make
- Happiness is a choice
So tomorrow, I will wake up 28. And I’m okay with that.